Friday 14 November 2014




Animating Sprites (1st Attempt)


Below is my first sprite sheet depicting my boy character in motion in his Idle state. (i.e. standing still)


1st Sprite Sheet


My first attempt at animating said sprite sheet however, ultimately ended in a failure but I learned a lot and now I'm much surer of what I want to achieve. My issue with this first animation is how fast it is and how his body looks. I started out with a sharper and more streamlined version of my character design that, looking at now, doesn't really fit in with what I want the rest of my game to look like but I went ahead with anyway as it would serve well enough for me to practice animating with (The first thing I'm going to do next is go back to the slightly more cartoonist style of character I had before).



Re-adjustments

Attaching Sprites to Controller


The first thing I learned after importing the sprites into unity was dimensions. The character was animating but he was also moving up and down unintentionally, a problem caused from where and how I had positioned the sprites in Photoshop. After checking what the sizes of the sprites were according to unity, the solution was to alter the width and height of my first sprite, then use it as a base line for how far apart each sprite needed to be from one another. 



Applying Colliders

Animator


In the end I had a functioning animation and from there it was just a matter of attaching a rigidbody and various colliders to both him and the makeshift platforms. I now know how I'm going to implement my character into unity but before I go ahead with the running and jumping aspects of that equation I've decided to go back and redraw both the scarf and the body of my protagonist.

No comments:

Post a Comment