Tuesday 25 November 2014



Redesigning Sprites


The trouble with the last sprite sheet was that it just looked dull. I've been advised before that if your going for an animated protagonist then the best thing to keep in mind is that they way a character poses conveys the most amount of characterization. The design of the last batch of sprites didn't show much personality at all, really my protagonist just looked kinda bored. 

Baring in mind that all the player will see of my character is a silhouette, I still need to figure out specifically who my character is (regardless of what his bright red scarf does or doesn't do for you). Speaking of scarfs, the way I had drawn it to flap in the wind did give more than a little of the super hero in a cape vibe, so I decided to run with it. I envisioned a figure who was determined to proceed through this dark and lonely forest, despite whatever dangers they might face, and make it through to the other side. Then I realized that I had sort of done that already in my character concepts     



5th Concept Polished


Idle Stance Animation 


2nd redesign was very Rayman inspired, mostly because I looked up some of the sprites from Rayman Origins as a guideline. This version I went for less heroism and more 'pumped up'. the edges are also a lot more defined and overall has a greater degree of shape. So far this is my favorite.   


Rayman Sprites

2nd Redesign







No comments:

Post a Comment